Sunday, March 22, 2009

First Post


I am new to blogging. I really don't know much about it either, just that it is a popular thing to do these days in this highly interactive world.

The web has gotten very "social" it seems. A great place to keep up with your friends and family and to let the world keep up with you. Take Facebook for example; I keep in touch with my children (yes i do that at home too, don't worry) and most of my friends (it's better than the phone sometimes as I hate to talk on the phone). I even "friended" one of my favorite authors.

Another place I visit everyday is Carepages. There I read the progress of one of my friends and her sister. The sister has cancer and my friend donated bone marrow. I get emails every time the blog is updated so I click the link and read about a very intimate battle between the sisters and their family and cancer. It's very interesting , very emotional and can easily be equated with internet voyeurism.

I'm not sure i will be very good at this or keep it up. My journal is a good example. I've had it for at least 5 years and I don't think I've written more than 15 pages. I find it too personal. But isn't that what a journal is supposed to be, personal. I mean who's going to read it anyway? It's not like anybody but me knows I have one, well, that is until now anyway. I just feels very weird to me to be writing about me to me. So why in Gods green earth would I want to write a blog? I guess because there is a chance that someone will read it. Albeit a very small chance but there is a chance. Maybe I need an audience? In English class in college I was told that when you write you should consider who your audience is and speak to them. Maybe that was the problem with my journal, I had no audience except myself. I just find that really weird. I don't need to write about me to me. I already now what's going on don't I?

So what will I be writing about here? What else, my sewing. I love to sew. I love to make things. People tell me I make very nice things too.

Currently I am sewing doll clothes and selling them on eBay and also taking commissions. My business name is Thread and Treadle Doll Costuming. I sew for modern, vintage and modern dolls. Right now I am making outfits for the Kish Chrysalis line of dolls by doll artist Helen Kish. I have made 11 outfits and sold all but 3. The outfits have earned excellent feedback and have also generated a couple commissions.

I create in other mediums too. I learned to knit, crochet and embroider as a child just as I learned to sew. Sock knitting has my attention right now and I am just about done with my first pair of socks. I am attracted to the colorful yarns that are currently available especially the self- patterning ones. They are great fun.

Since I have a lot of time on my hands right now as I am currently unemployed, I am taking the opportunity to brush up some of my skills in embroidery and learn some new ones. I am teaching myself smocking and silk ribbon embroidery. After I have developed some proficiency I will incorporate these skills in my doll designs adding a new dimension to them and hopefully increased value.

So how was my first attempt at blogging? Boring, banal, immature or fresh, interesting...ok who cares, it's not like anybody else is going to read this, or is there? Meg Ryan in the movie "You've Got Mail" wrote in an email to "newyork152", aka Tom Hanks, something about writing about an idea and throwing it out into the cosmic void (or something like that). Not to be commented upon, no, she just wanted it to be "out there"....so here goes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment