Monday, April 13, 2009

The Nature of the Business


On Saturday I had my first Etsy sale. This was very unexpected as the item had been in my shop for about a month. On Easter Sunday I had 2 eBay auctions end. One outfit sold and since the second didn't I went ahead and put it on Etsy as well. This morning I found that it had sold as well as did a hat I had just put up on the site. One of my eBay items generated a small commission as well. All in all it was a very successful weekend.

All this came on the heels of two failed commissions. Customers requested items and then didn't go through with the sales. This is the first and only time this has happened to me in all the years I've been in business. It really depressed me at first but then I moved on emotionally and used the experience as learning opportunity. That and I will sell the 2 outfits at a later date. This has tempered my excitement over my burst of business.

I am really thrilled at the sales but I tend to think they are just of the moment and I am in no fear of being overwhelmed with new business. The outfit I have on eBay that I listed last night shows promise with 12 watches already. Which is all well and good but no one has bid on them either.

Just like any other business, mine has it's ups and downs. It's just the way things are. You should never take it too personally. You know the saying, "it's not personal , it's business.". I will keep at it and take it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment