Saturday, May 30, 2009

Doll Talk

You think with all this talk about quilting and knitting that I wasn't doing any doll sewing. Oh contraire mon frere! Actually, I 've been quite busy. After rocking eBay with a couple outfits,( one sold for over $65.00), I picked up 3 commissions, 2 from the internet and one live person! The interesting part is that none of them are related to the stuff I've had on EBay lately. Instead, they represent alot of my past work.

The one I am currtenly working on is for Kitty Collier. The commission is actually for 2 outfits. The first is a copy of one I sold on ebay before. The customer knows my work and when I told her I still had fabric to make another she was delighted. The second outfit is something completely new. I purchased the pattern a while ago with hopes of making one for eBay but that never happened. When my customer saw the design of this she fell in love with that design as well.

I have finished the first outfit already, it didn't take all that long to make. The second is a whole 'nother story. The pattern I am using is horrible. I doubt is it's creator ever sewed one up as the size is way off. It's so big that it fits a 22" doll when it is supposed to fit an 18" doll. I realized this after I had cut out the bodice and start to sew it together. I had only gotten the front half done when I realized the size discrepancy. So I tried in on my American Model by Tonner and the fit was not half bad. Finishing the outfit as it is will give me a change it fine tune the design. I will then go back and resize it in the correct size for my customers doll.

Fine tuning a pattern takes a great deal of time and not one of my favorite things to do but it is a very necessary. Proper fit can either make or break an outfit. Many doll costumers will often do a mock up from either paper towels or muslin. I like to use something more in line with the actual fabric I will be using. Different fabrics will fit and hang differently from each other. I think this give a more accurate fit. When your working in small scale the little things matter a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment