Friday, May 1, 2009

Two Projects Done


I just finished up two projects that I had been working on for sometime. The first one and the largest of the 2 was a quilt. The fabric is by Moda and the collection is called "Chocolate". It's beautiful muted reds and blues and browns. My sister-in -law, Michelle, quilted it for me and did a wonderful job. It will find a home on one of the twin beds in a bedroom formally occupied by 2 of my sons. ( One has moved out and the other soon will be.)

Finishing a quilt is a big deal for me. I had the fabric for it for over a year while I finished other quilts and projects. Then it took a couple of weeks to cut and sew it together. Then it was over 4 months before it could be quilted. Tonight I will finsh sewing on the binding.

My next one is already in the works. It's called "Road to Dixe". Most of the fabric for it is from the Collection of the Cause collection by Moda. The main border fabric looks amazing with my couch so this one will go on the wall rack in my living room when done.

This new quilt will be a first for me. It is the first quilt made at a quilt class as I have never taken on before. I am really looking forward to it and hope to learn a lot.

The other project I finsihed were my socks! LOL I finally finshed my first pair of knitted socks. Boy are they comfortable. They fit great and look funky. They are made of wool and nylon so they are warm but too warm like my store bought slipper socks so I can wear them all day.

As usual I learned much about knitting socks with this project. They are easy to knit and they don't take very much yarn to make or much time for that matter. These were made using 5 double pointed needles and knitted from the cuff down, one at a time. I have already ordered more yarn to make 3 more pairs. The next pair I will try the toe up method on a pair of circular needles and make both at the same time. This method lets you try on the sock as you knit it so you can shape it to your foot more easily than when you knit from the toe down. Also, because you knit both socks at the same time they are exactly the same. I think it may be quicker too.

No comments:

Post a Comment