Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Knitting for Fall

It's late August and summer is starting to wind down here in Western New York.  The hot and very dry summer has caused the leaves on some of the trees in the area to start to change color already. Nights here are getting cooler and fall is just around the corner.  

With the approach of Autumn  and cooler weather I get the urge to start some cool weather projects so of course knitting comes to mind.  At the end of last winter I had just a tiny bit to finish up on a shawlette I had started.  The pattern is called Tanta and it is made in a very soft grey hued sock yarn I got from Knit Picks. I finished it up in no time and was in the mood to start another.  
In my yarn stash was 2 skeins of a deep purple silk wool blend. They were originally intended to be a pair of socks but I didn't have the heart to hide such lovely yarn in my shoes so I decided to make a shawl instead.  I found the pattern, called Hanruni,  for free on the web and I am about half way done. It is coming along just nicely.  I am very pleased with the easiness of the pattern and i have been able to correct any knitting mistakes as I go so it is looking quite nice. 
It is a triangle shaped shawl knit from the top down on circular needles.
Since I've been in yarn mode I decided to stop at a local yarn shop on my day off today.  They didn't have a lot of yarn in the shop as they are about to move.  Last year the building that the shop was in burned  and the little shop temporarily moved across the street.  Now they are about to move back to their old location. 
I was able to find a delicious looking Merino and mohair fingering weight that will also become another shawlette. I think this one might go to one of my daughter-in-laws as a Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment